Bomb Threat Procedure
- KEEP CALM.
- GATHER INFORMATION.
The following is a bomb threat checklist to be used when a bomb threat is received. A copy of this list should be kept at the desk(s) of the Tenant representative or those people who receive the majority of incoming calls (i.e., receptionists, customer service operators). This checklist should be used to document the following information:
- Determine the location of the bomb, ie did the caller give a location such as your suite, specific area of the building, or floor etc.
- Listen for background noises that may be of help in identifying the area from which the call is coming.
- Record voice characteristics of the caller (pitch, speed, accent, emotion, etc.).
- If possible, record the call.
- NOTIFY THE POLICE & THE PROPERTY MANAGEMENT OFFICE IMMEDIATELY.
The best procedure is to clear the immediate area where the bomb is located and follow the directions of the experts. (In case of evacuation, DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS.)
- Keep a lookout for strange or suspicious items. DO NOT TOUCH any suspicious item. Some bombs are set to detonate upon movement.
- Report any strange or suspicious item to the Police and/or the Property Management personnel.
- Remember, outside personnel do not know your premises as well as you do. What appears commonplace to an outsider may well be out of place to you.